The area of Suffolk Street has for over
1,000 years played a vital administrative,
commercial and cultural role in Dublin’s
In Viking times the Norse “Thingmote” or
Parliament was located on Suffolk Street.
This was an earthen mound standing 12 metres
high and with a circumference of over 73
metres. This mound was used by the Danes as
a place where their laws were promulgated.
Later King Henry II had a temporary palace
built at the mound for his meeting in 1172
with the Irish Chiefs. Here he received
submissions from several Irish Chiefs and
entertained them with military displays
Later in Medieval times it served as a place
for public entertainment and even
executions. In 1681 it was levelled by order
of the Chief Justice and the earth was
removed and used to raise the level of
nearby Nassau Street to prevent flooding.
In the eighteen century Suffolk Street was a
much sought after commercial and residential
area. Today the street is a busy commercial
street being adjacent to Grafton Street,
Dublin’s premier shopping street, St Andrews
Church, the site of Dublin’s tourism office
and Trinity College.